Friday, December 6, 2013

Rocks, Shells and Other Treasures of the Seashore

   In October, David and I went to Vashon Island. This is a bit embarrassing because it shows my geographical ignorance of the area I live, but I didn't even know Vashon existed until recently! It is an island very conveniently located between Seattle and Tacoma. A lot of the other islands I have visited like Whidbey or San Juan or Guames require a drive to some other town to get to the ferry terminal. But Vashon has a direct ferry leaving right from Seattle! Hooray! It is a beautiful little island, surrounded by water (as logic would dictate) and covered with trees. I have many pictures to share but I am going to start with pictures of interesting objects I found while wondering on the shore. I love beachcombing! What is the most interesting thing you have found on the beach?










   For our Vashon trip, David and I stayed in a cabin on the beach. I could pop outside and wander along the coast collecting shells anytime I pleased. Which I did, on several occasions, even though we were only there for a weekend. One time after collecting shells, I came inside with them to more closely examine the interesting treasures. While looking at a big, hollow shell, a tiny hermit crab crawled out from the inside of it! He was an adorable little thing. As he stared up at me, he was probably wondering where the water was. I took him back outside to his wet, salty home. 

3 comments :

Splendid Little Stars said...

You found some most interesting things! I love the beach! It is endlessly fascinating on many levels.

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

Wonderful photos -- everything looks rather alien! That little hermit crab is a cutie! I'm sure he appreciated your dropping him near the water! I especially like that second pic with the colorful pebbles, and that -- whatever it is! Alien!!

Amber said...

Splendid Little Stars- Thanks! I agree about the beach being fascinating. I could spend hours upon hours there and never get bored.
Sarah- Thanks! I know what you are talking about when you say everything looks alien. The beaches I've been too around Puget Sound always feel especially alien to me because there are so many barnacles! They grow on everything! It gives the beach landscape a real other worldly feel.