Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Spring and Summer Food

   Whenever Spring and Summer come around, I am far more enthusiastic about food! Not to say I am not enthusiastic about food during the colder seasons. I always love to eat. But it is exciting once Spring arrives and the fruits and vegetables come into season and are not horribly expensive. Here are some food that I have made and/or eaten recently.

  During a recent cabin trip to Whidbey with my friends, we had handmade pizza. I did not make the pizza, my friend Mike did. He is a pizza savant!


  The second day at the cabin we had tacos. We didn't really utilize springs ingredients much in the tacos but they were quite tasty.

  I love dolma's and sometimes I like to make them at home. These one's were modified from the dolma's I usually make because along with rice and herbs they also had lots of chopped vegetables in them. I was trying to sneak the vegetables into the dolmas to make them even healthier. They still tasted the same with less rice and added vegetables so this is something I will do again next time I make dolmas. I also made a falafel salad to go along with the dolmas but I just used a box to make the falafels.

  My favorite thing that I have made recently are spring rolls. I have been buying spring rolls from the fresh food section of the grocery store a lot lately, but they are four or five dollars for two of them. I figured I could make them myself for a lot cheaper. These spring rolls have avocado  red pepper, cucumber and either tofu or smoked salmon. Some of them also have thai basil, cilantro and/or green onion. I used two dipping sauces- a peanut sauce and a sweet chili sauce. I think hoison sauce would taste good with these also. Spring rolls are fairly easy to make, but more difficult to make look perfect. My spring rolls were a bit messy, but they tasted good. I made a bunch so they lasted several days too. Paired with a fruit salad, spring rolls are the perfect warm weather dinner.


   What is your favorite food to eat or make in Spring and Summer?

11 comments :

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Oh wow...I am officially super hungry now :)

Sheryl Hastings said...

The pizza looks delicious! I make pizza all the time but I make mine with ranch dressing for the sauce, and veggies for the topping. Love it!

Mohala Johnson said...

Everything looks like it was delicious, I too love spring rolls and your photo made my tummy growl! lol

Marieken Hoefnagel said...

Good food! I like the look of that pizza.

littlestar cindy said...

hi *^-^*
i'm so glad you visited my blog
thank you and very nice to meet you :)))))
i love your amazing blog :)))) and everything
yesss ;) i will keep following your blog ^-^

have a lovely and sweet day :D

Michelle @ Catwings Downtown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle @ Catwings Downtown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle @ Catwings Downtown said...

Those spring rolls look delicious! And sound very tasty & easy. I will have to try & make them myself!

My favorite summer foods are fresh tomato, fresh basil leaf, a healthy slice of mozzarella cheese, drizzled with balsamic vinegar, stacked high on a piece of well toasted bread. Yum! I can't wait for my tomatoes to come in :D

Michelle @ Catwings Downtown said...

^Sorry for posting 3 times. I'm still getting used to blogger ^_^

Tam Hess said...

Oh you make me so hungry! Beautiful food :) Thanks somuch for sharing xoxo

Amber @ Fauna Finds Flora said...

Thank you very much for the comments! Keith- pictures of food make me hungry too! :) Sheryl- Your pizza combo sounds delicious! Ranch goes well with everything! Mohala- Spring rolls are so good and I never tried even eating them until probably my mid twenties. I think I am going to make another batch soon. Marieken- I always love pizza. I could probably eat it everyday without getting tired of it. Littlestar Cindy- Thanks for visiting me back! I am excited to see more of the art you post. Michelle- I am going to have to try making your summer recipe. It sounds super delicious! Tamm- Thank you and thanks for visiting!