Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How To: Make a Miniature Terrarium

   Terrariums are a perfect way to add a little bit of nature in your home. Here is how to make a miniature terrarium out of an old spice jar.

 I live in a wet and rainy environment, so I found my moss outside my house. But if you live in a drier environment  you can probably find moss at a gardening store. You can decide to only use moss in your terrarium to give it a more natural feel, or you can add a tiny figurine to give it more of a diorama feel.

  Step One: Remove Spice Label and Clean Jar

      Use soap and water to clean your jar. If the spice company used especially stubborn adhesive to affix the label, a bit of peanut butter rubbed onto the sticky parts should really help out.


Step Two: Add Soil
  
   You can add a lot of soil or a little depending on how high you want your terrarium ground to be.



Step Three: Compact Soil

   Press the soil down as if you were packing brown sugar for a baking recipe  My fingers were too short, so I found a blunt pen to use instead.

Step Four: Add Just A Little Bit Of Water.

    Drip, drip, drip should do the trick. I added more water than intended so I added more soil to absorb the extra water.

 Step Five: Add the Moss

   If your moss is too thick, you can cut it into a smaller piece  My moss was too thin, so I squished to pieces together.




Step Six: Clean away the dirt from the inside of the jar. 

    You don't want your view obscured by excess dirt! Just get a piece of tissue and wipe around the inside of the glass.


Step Seven: Add your figurine (if you want) 

   And Voila! You have yourself your very own miniature terrarium to enjoy.



   

2 comments :

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I've actually thought about doing something like this before - even having one of those small frogs in it. I've also thought about an ant farm. I like the idea of incorporating nature into one's home.

Amber said...

I think you should do it! I like incorporating nature into the home too. That is why I like having plants too....and fish aquariums. I have wanted to make a bigger terrarium too- one with several different plants.